Following over a month’s work on compiling experimental images of the garden I have now completed four final paintings. Some of these came directly from colour studies made in my visual journal and some were done spontaneously as a response to an idea. Each of them expresses a different quality of ‘GARDEN’.
This is the first of the four images depicting MYSTERY. I have used the paint freely and applied it with the palette knife and my hands – very little use is made of the brush. After each painting session, I would then cover the image with a wash of acrylic ink because I didn’t want a representational image. This was an interesting step in the painting because it meant that each layer of creative expression was washed out so that I didn’t become precious with how the image was emerging. It kind of emerged out of itself in a peculiar way.